slipstreaming my anachronistic surreal consciousness - sharing with you my multiple epiphanies that were spawned while sitting on my porcelain throne (these are the ones I didn't flush) "don't believe everything you thinkā€¦"

Sunday, September 14, 2003

resignation poem

{Jason just reminded me, of the resignation poem (more like a haiku) I wrote to an ad agency I worked for.}

This is to inform you
that I'm going to resign.

Thank you,
for a wonderful time.


I had to resign because it's one of those overworked but underpaid jobs. Don't get me wrong, I liked the job. But the stress was way too much. I was new but they handed me the 3rd largest account in the company. It was a tri-media with events account.

I basically had a crash course in advertising. I did print {I even had to do the editing & copyrighting for it because the art department were lazy fucks! I wasn't supposed to do it, but nobody wanted to! (Sorry for the rant but try doing full centerfold ads on your own after finding out nobody wants to do it and you have to learn how to do it on the night of the printing deadline and you have over 50 names to add using a DOS based non-GUI word processor and our data transfer speed depended on how fast our sneakernet was! Crap, I'm getting angry again, just thinking of it!)}, radio (the easiest of the 3), & TV ads (fun behind the scene experiences). We were able to close a series of 3 TV ads (for the 1st time) for the promo. I created that year's promo scheme. And, I got to go behind the scenes during the raffle drawings on TV. We also had an annual kite flying contest event (which was cool).

I had no clue why they gave me the 3rd largest account. Way after I resigned, Sharon told me, it's because I scored the highest in their I.Q. test. I still think it's funny; because, more than half of the time, I was just guessing my way through that test. Maybe my pencil had the mystical properties of a planchette & was guided with Ouija magic.

I was losing weight from that job. And, it became my 2nd home. If I went to home, it was only to shower & freshen-up.

Even though she wasn't too friendly with me at that time; I admired Sharon because her workload was at least 5x more than mine! I had 3 accounts (the other 2 were just print media), she had at least 5 accounts!

Our boss, Anna, was really cool. And she looked like Betty Boop.

The building we worked in had British accent talking elevators. I hoped that it would eventually teach people how to say, "16th Floor", properly.

The only real good thing that came from that work experience is my friendship with Sharon & Jason.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Creative Commons License