slipstreaming my anachronistic surreal consciousness - sharing with you my multiple epiphanies that were spawned while sitting on my porcelain throne (these are the ones I didn't flush) "don't believe everything you think…"

Saturday, August 30, 2003

Agnosticism

here are my favorite quotes about Agnosticism:

“Agnosticism… a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle… Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. …if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him.”
Thomas Henry Huxley(1825-1895)
Science and Christian Tradition (1893)

“The skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found.”
Miguel de Unamuno (1864-1936)
Spanish writer, philosopher

“I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of.”
Clarence Darrow (1857-1938)
American lawyer, writer

“Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith.”
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Here's an Agnostic prayer:
“O Lord, if there is a Lord, save my soul, if I have a soul.”
Joseph Ernest Renan (1823-1892)
French writer, critic, scholar
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Creative Commons License