slipstreaming my anachronistic surreal consciousness - sharing with you my multiple epiphanies that were spawned while sitting on my porcelain throne (these are the ones I didn't flush) "don't believe everything you think…"

Thursday, June 03, 2004

bad advertising

my major was Marketing…

I worked for an ad agency…

advertising is acceptable, if it somehow benefits its target market (e.g. subsidizing something either partially or completely)

but here’s my gripe about advertising getting out of hand…

it bothers me when:
1) I see it in theaters before watching a movie (I wouldn’t mind so much, if our movie tickets were free or at least half the price because of the advertising)
2) preloaded in DVDs that I’ve bought (especially the ones that were at premium price) (I’d be okay with preloaded advertising in DVDs, if the DVDs were either free or cost under $5)
{I bought the Alice In Wonderland DVD and to my disappointment it had over 20 min. worth of commercials that were preloaded and couldn't be avoided!!! you have no choice but to sit and watch the commercials before being able to get to the DVD menu! Shame on Disney for doing this! I only find this to be barely acceptable, if I were renting the video… But I purchased this DVD and it's full of stupid commercials that can't be avoided!!!}

update: something to look out for is "stealth/undercover marketing"… I first saw it in 60 Minutes
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Creative Commons License